How to Decorate Your Living Room
The Ultimate Guide to Your Perfect Living Room Design
When it comes to learning how to decorate your living room, we understand that it involves selecting the appropriate paint colors, furniture, ornaments, and so on. Everything must be done with care in order for the colors, decorations, and furniture to work together harmoniously and effectively.
But how do you go about selecting the perfect living room design? It doesn’t have to be a stressful task, which is why we’ve put together the following tips for your convenience.
Table of Contents
Our top tips and trends for the Design Process
We have carefully handpicked the types of furniture, paint colors, and current trends to provide you with a clear design approach based on your style and preferences.
What was trendy in the early 2000s is no longer a trend now. Nowadays, choosing sustainable materials is extremely important, but using elegant elements and creating your own unique style. Here is a list of the current trends:
- Decorate using a maximalist approach
- Combine stripes and checks
- Use of sculptural furniture
- Make use of a bold primary palette
- Decorate with a wall mural
- Use yellow and gray colors
- Get inspiration from tropical gateways
- Repurpose vintage pieces
- Combine modern and vintage items
- Use eco-friendly materials
Living Room Styles
When it comes to living room styles, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution. Choosing the correct living room style can really bring a personal touch to your home, much like choosing the right clothes can represent your personality. Here are some suggestions:
- Art Deco – This style originated in the 1920s. Its main features are bright colors and geometric shapes
- Asian – Made up of clean colors and lines that are full of details
- Bohemian Style – A mix of patterns, colors, and textures
- Coastal – Features bright colors that make you feel like you are outdoor
- Contemporary – Made of colors and patterns that perfectly fit with each other
- Cottage – Uses a mix of soft color and warm tone
- Country – Natural elements are paired with pale colors
- Eclectic – A mix of styles and textures put together
- Hollywood – Featuring bold artwork, gold accents, and luxury furniture
- Industrial – A mix of dark colors and metals
- Mediterranean – Warm colors with natural accents
- Minimalism – Simple and clean design with no clutter
- Modern – Uses simple colors and clean lines
- Moroccan – Elaborate woodwork together with detailed patterns
- Rustic – Features natural colors and finishes
- Scandinavian – Neutral colors paired with modern furniture
- Tropical – Uses colors seen in nature
Living Room Ideas & Inspiration
It is sometimes easier to simply look at photographs of already decorated living rooms and replicate the exact layout, colors, and furniture. This will save you time because you won’t have to pick each item individually, making sure they complement one another.
Below, we have listed a few types of living rooms that you might want to opt for.
All-White Living Room
A white living room can convey a sense of calm and cleanliness. However, it is important to carefully select the proper piece of furniture to prevent having a washed-out-looking living room.
Having a white living room may sound like your worst nightmare because white gets stained so easily, but there are several things you can do, such as choosing washable paint and spill-resistant furniture.
You might mix white and wood tones to make your white living room more intriguing. This will make your living room appear more inviting.
You can also include interesting shapes, such as odd ornaments.
The secret to making an all-white living room design work is to incorporate slight differences in texture, which will give your room a dynamic and layered appearance.
You can also add a splash of color or some plants.
Having a soothing environment is especially beneficial for those who suffer from anxiety and depression. The sense of tranquillity and safety might greatly assist you in relaxing at home.
One of the first things you may do is adorn your home with elements that will improve your moods, such as houseplants and other natural features.
Certain colors can also improve your mood. Therefore, it’s critical to use cool paint hues like blue, green, and purple to induce feelings of serenity.
Strive to be more minimalistic in your approach, as too much clutter in your living room might ruin the sensation of tranquillity. Allowing natural light into your living room and using blue elements are also excellent choices.
For more zen vibes, you can add plenty of earthy elements like tall and leafy trees to bushy ferns, wooden accessories and plants to give your living room a more connected feel to nature.
The greens from trees and plants will pop against bare white walls and help to promote stress relief while purifying the air and eliminating any toxins. Nature has some of the best patterns and color pallets that work perfectly together.
Gray is an extremely versatile color that works well in the living room.
If you want to keep things simple, this is the color to use.
You may blend two tones of gray to provide enough contrast to make the living room look more interesting.
For those who prefer a simple and elegant living room, painting the walls a shade of gray and pairing it with furniture in a different shade of gray is a great option.
The Everyday Living style consists of simply having what is absolutely necessary in your living room.
Use simple and comfortable furniture, and add a panoramic view to liven things up.
Color can be used to make the living space appear brighter and larger. With this style, it’s all about simplicity and functionality, but simplicity can be attractive when mixed with nice features like a glass wall or contrasting colors.
You might also go with a monochromatic color scheme and add some plants to feel more connected to nature.
Decorate your sofa with pillows and your walls with paintings to add texture.
Living Room Furniture Choices
The second most crucial thing to do when redecorating your living room is to choose and arrange your furniture. Without the proper foundation, it is difficult to add the right ornaments, wall arts, or rugs.
The perfect coffee table for your living room may bring the entire space together. Whether you want to opt for elegant or functional, your coffee table will be the center of attention. You could also adorn the table by placing a plant on top and some hardcover books underneath.
The right lighting can completely transform a room, whilst the wrong lighting can make it feel uninviting and impractical.
Floor lamps can make a room feel cozier, more modern, and more lively.
Wall Art & Artwork
Your style and individuality should be reflected in your wall art. Choosing the appropriate size and color is critical, but ultimately, self-expression is more important. Learning how to decorate your living room walls comes with understanding your personal design style and preferances.
GETTING STARTED WITH FURNITURE PIECES
Furniture can make or break your living room. It is important to create a space that is both practical and beautiful. You should ensure that you use enough furniture to accommodate family and friends, but at the same time, leave enough space to move around. Here are some of the main furniture pieces you might want to buy for your living room:
● End tables
● Accent tables
● Coffee tables
● Accent chests
● Open shelving
There are so many types of sofas you can choose from. Here is a comprehensive list:
● English Rolled Arm
● Mid-century Modern
● Contemporary Mid-century Modern Sofa
● Sectional Sofa
● Chaise Lounge
● Convertible Sofa
● Lawson-style Sofa
● Pull Out Sofa Bed
● Bunk Bed Sleeper
● Recliner Sofa
● Pallet couches
● Tuxedo Sofa
● Loveseat Sofas
● Low-Seated Sofas
● Multi-sofa lounger
● Full sofa lounger
● Settee Sofa
● Single sofa lounger
If your living room is too small to accommodate numerous sofas, accent chairs might help you add more seating while still leaving some space. These are just chairs that are strategically placed in a space to provide additional seating. An accent chair can be used in two ways. You can either create a secondary seating area in the living room or position the chair to complement the textures and colors of larger pieces of furniture, such as a sofa.
If you choose neutral colors or an all-white living room, it is necessary to include some decorative pieces. Ultimately, decorations will be the ones to offer a personal touch to your living room. Decorative pieces, whether a vase, candles, or a centerpiece, will add the finishing touch to your home.
Living Room Paint Color Scheme -
Finding Your Palette & Style
Selecting the right paint color for your living room’s walls has the capacity to give your living room a lot of personality. The first step in the decorating process is to choose a wall color.
It is important to have a clear picture in mind before beginning to decorate the living room, thus choosing the proper color is crucial.
Whether you want to give your living room a “summer look” or a darker mood, picking the right color is essential for defining your living room theme.
We dive deeper into living room paint color schemes here.
Living Room Design & Decor FAQs
Redesigning and redecorating a living room can be simple if you have some guidelines to follow. We’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about living room design and decoration below.
Pick the right items that complement your style, to create an environment that is clutter-free, and vibrant. There are so many simple things you can do to beautify your living room:
- Emphasize colors
- Decorate by simply experimenting with your furniture
- Choose lighting that is transparent and light-weight to create a sense of luminosity and space
- Designate a wall for artwork
- Pick a theme and stick to it
- Install a fireplace
- Use different color shades to create contrast
Before you begin decorating, you should first map out the desired outcome. You don’t want to spend money on something that won’t go with the rest of the decor.
When you have a clear idea in mind, you can begin decorating by painting the walls the color you want, followed by arranging the furniture in a way that makes your living room look lovely and cozy.
Once you’ve established the basic layout, you may begin adding decorations such as a rug, artwork, plants, pillows, and so on, making sure that everything complements the layout you’ve created.
Being on a tight budget should not hinder you from personalizing your living room. Here are some ideas for decorating your living room on a budget:
- Look for colorful or quirky plants
- Rearrange the furniture in your living room to give it a new look
- Apply a fresh layer of paint
- Use personalized decor, such as items that reflect your hobby or souvenirs that you have picked up while on vacation
- Look in antique shops or flea markets for furniture that you can repurpose
- Make your own wall art
- Add rugs that complement your decorating style
If your living room is small, it is important to choose the right colors to create the appearance of living in a bigger space. Here are the colors we recommend you use:
- Light Taupe
- Soft Black
- Stark White
- Dark Navy
- Blush Pink
- Cool Gray
You don’t have to buy pricey furniture to beautify your living room. We’ve got you covered with a few cute ideas:
- Pile up some colorful pillows on your sofa
- Create a focal point by putting together a piece of art with a console table or some shelves
- Add faux sheepskin to your chairs
- Use postcards or greeting cards as a piece of artwork
- Turn everyday objects into wall art
- Add pictures of your loved ones
- Add patterned backdrops to your shelves
- Fill your unused fireplace with some books
- Decorate glass bottles and put them on display
- Put hardcover books under your coffee table
- Place plants around your living room that go with your chosen color scheme
Finding storage in your living room can be difficult at times, but we have some practical and stylish ideas for you:
- Make the most of the space between the ceiling and the top of your shelves
- Add a sideboard. Not only will this provide you with more storage space, but it will also be a great piece of furniture to add some ornaments on top of
- Turn your living room clutter into a feature, by simply picking color schemes that go with your living room
- Add a window seat. You will be able to store some clutter away, and sip a nice cup of coffee by the window. Win, win!
- Put up floating shelves. They serve as both a decorative piece and a useful storage space
- Choose furniture that can provide you with extra storage, such as an ottoman, a pouf, a sofa with storage, or even a coffee table with drawers
How to transform the living room into an office space?
Working from home has become a common practice for many people. However, not everyone has a separate office space in their home. But don’t worry. Here are some practical solutions for converting your living room into an office space:
- Have your desk behind your sofa. This is a great option for those who have an open-plan type of living area
- Purchase a mini desk. You do not need a full-sized desk to set up a work space. Mini desks allow you to use a small corner of your living room, without taking over too much space
- Place a small desk in front of a wall to create an open office space
- Take advantage of forgotten spaces, such as the one under the stairs, or next to the sofa
- Use existing shelving as a working space. All you will need is to pull up a chair and you are good to go!
Wall art can truly bring a personal touch to your living room, but it may be rather pricey if you don’t know where to look.
Here are some suggestions to help you save money on wall art:
- Opt for art prints, instead of buying originals
- Find an artist who is not as well known as some of the more expensive ones
- Keep an eye on when open studio sales are available. This is when artists open their studios to the public in order to sell art that has been sitting around for too long
- Attend art fairs, as these tend to offer some art at a cheaper price
- Use “Print On Demand” websites as these are overall pretty affordable when it comes to purchasing any type of merchandise or decorations. A good site I recommend is Redbubble
- Explore online marketplaces. These will allow you to connect directly with less famous artists who are very talented!
- Search for beautiful pieces of art in small local shops. Those quirky little shops often have unique items that you would not otherwise be able to find elsewhere